I may be doing IVF in March or April depending on the outcome of my current IUI cycle due to male infertility factor. I'm 31 years old and my FSH level was 12.2 after CCT (per my RE slightly elevated, not to really worry about now but probably shouldn't hold off on having children until my late 30's). He was suggesting start with 1 embryo transfer since the rate of twins could be as high as 40% with 2 embryo transfer. Twins might be a little more stressful though I'm sure we would be just as happy. I guess my biggest concern would be that the 1 embryo transfer might not take whereas I might have a better chance of at least one successful implantation with 2 embryo transfer. I'm hoping we would have some frozen embryos left from this cycle for future cycles.
My questions for those who have undergone or are about to undergo an IVF cycle: How do you decide whether to have 1 or 2 embryos transferred? Or was it not even a decision you made but rather by your RE?
For my 1st cycle that made it to transfer, we transferred two. We wanted the best chance possible at getting at least one to implant. With our last cycle we only transferred one since that was all we had left by day 3. I think some RE's decide depending on the quality of your embies. If you have so-so embies, they may even suggest transferring three. Your RE will probably make a recommendation, but in the end it should be your decision on what you feel comfortable with. If you are comfortable with the chance of having twins, then I'd probably transfer two.
Good luck!! I hope you don't have to make this decision. Hopefully this IUI will work!
Keep us posted on how things go!
IVF #1-cancelled d/t embryos arresting before transfer (3/09)
IVF #2-BFP 9wks-7/30/09 (6/09)
IVF #3-BFN (5/10)
You are almost following what the RE has in store for us. My FSH level was 2 which is right in the middle of good. But I only had 1 tube that looks like it's working. He's starting me with Clomid but already talking about IUI. My DH and I talked about transfering if we have to keep going to IVF, and we think 3 would be a good number. The Army RE won't transfer just one embryo, they want 2-3. RE said 2 can be none and 3 can be 1. It's every families own choice though. We talked about it and feel comfortable with 3 but at least 2. I hope that your IUI cycle takes and you don't have to keep going. Sending you baby dust
well my husband and i are older than you...we are 37 (me) and 40 (husband)...we are doing our first IVF cycle this month.
We have decided with the recommendation of our RE to transfer 3 if we have 3 to transfer. He said the chances of triplets would only be like 6% although twins would be a very high possibility. We because of our ages would welcome twins and be done.
This IF is for the birds and I am ready to be done!!!
Best of luck to you....
Just a suggestion... If you're not 100% sure you would be ready to handle twins, or more(and I'm not talking about how happy you'd be to pg. with anything at this point!) I would hop on the Parents of Multiples board. I found it helpful to read about the challenges of raising multiples ~ the moms were discussing issues that I never thought of! I decided that my DH and I are up for the challenge and have transfered 3 on our cycles.
Best of luck with whatever you decide!
We transferred 3 on our first IVF two years ago and got 1 beautiful little girl (see siggy!). We are doing an FET next month, and we will transfer 3 again. We're prepared for the possibility of multiples, but in the end, we believe it's all in God's hands, and He will give us whatever He feels we need
Hope all goes well with the IUI!
Personally, because I work in healthcare, multiple scared me from a pregnancy risk POV- the raising of them is just head counting. And yelling.
I'd only transfer two if you are aware of the risks of twin pregnancies compared to singleton and are REALLY really ready to deal with prematurity- most twins do just fine, but 50% are premature, some dangerously so. The rates of handicap and long term disability are much higher than singletons, but having said that, they're still pretty low, kwim?
HOM are even riskier.
It's hard when you're stuck doing IVF to make these calls, goodness knows I transferred two. I had a very rocky pregnancy.
Good luck with whatever you decide- your pregnancy rate even for a single blast would still probably be pretty high.
Take care and kup!