ICSI? (extremely TMI)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: ICSI? (extremely TMI)

  1. #1
    Super Poster DancingNancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    521

    Default ICSI? (extremely TMI)

    I'm not sure if this is a taboo subject or not so I don't mean to step on any toes. I'm not quite sure where to turn for help since this isn't exactly something I can talk about with my friends. We have about 2 days to decide if we are going to use ICSI or not. Here's the situation. DH had his analysis a few weeks ago. It was his first time at this new clinic, I wasn't there, he was nervous, etc. He knew that he didn't give "his best" and that volume was low. We got the results back and sure enough, after all was said and done, he was on the borderline of "normal" in volume but perfect in everything else (which is an improvement from previous times). At our old clinic, the same thing happened the first time he gave his sample. But at the 2 IUI's the nurse would "congratulate" him on the amount (like we are talking 10x the normal volume). My question is this - do we go ahead and do ICSI now and just throw all of our eggs into one basket (knowing that we have at most one other 'go' at this)? Or do we just trust that this was a first time jitters sort of thing and not do it now but do it next time (if there is a next time). Insurance doesn't cover it so it's about $1700 out of pocket (on top of the $20k we are already spending). But DH isn't concerned about the $. I just don't want to look back and wonder 'what if'? But I REALLY don't want to do. At.all. It's not a judgment thing - just a personal decision. But obviously I do whatever is best for our family. Thanks Ladies!! And again, I'm sorry if this is a taboo topic. I just am so confused about this whole process.
    ~Jenni~
    http://cvandjen.blogspot.com

    11/11 - 1st Fresh IVF attempt BFN
    02/12 - FET BFN
    04/12 - 2nd Fresh IVF attempt BFP
    4weeks 2 days
    9/12 - 3rd Fresh IVF attempt BFN
    7/13 - 4th Fresh IVF attempt BFP
    8 weeks due to chromosonal issues - A boy, Joseph Samuel

  2. #2
    Posting Addict Audgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,641

    Default

    lurker (who has been through 1 round of ICSI)
    I would say if money is not an issue, then do the ICSI, the What if's are not a fun thing to go through.
    We did ICSI on our 1 round of IVF, but our RE highly recommended it because we only got 1 egg.

    Good luck with your decision and your cycle!
    Audrey
    DH Sebastian
    DS Sawyer 4/1/06
    DD Payton too beautiful for this earth, born silently 7/19/09 at 33 wks
    DS Greyson 6/29/11
    DS Parker 4/14/14


  3. #3
    Super Poster DancingNancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Audgee View Post
    lurker (who has been through 1 round of ICSI)
    I would say if money is not an issue, then do the ICSI, the What if's are not a fun thing to go through.
    We did ICSI on our 1 round of IVF, but our RE highly recommended it because we only got 1 egg.

    Good luck with your decision and your cycle!
    The biggest hitch is that we have decide by the end of week and can't wait to see how I respond to meds (which I'm super nervous about but that's a whole other thread). Thanks for your input!!

  4. #4
    Posting Addict Jenn0113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    In the heat and humidity
    Posts
    25,923

    Default

    I did ICSI as well and I am glad we did. My Dh had an above average count and quality but we did it because my eggs are "hard" and needed the help. I would recommend it just so you can say you did everything possible to make it work. And when you are spending $20k, what's another $1700 And, if you dh is ok with it, I would do it.

    This is all my opinion...just what I would do.

  5. #5
    Super Poster reb2591020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    483

    Default

    We had a similar issue with morphology. H has always been fine but the new clinci said it was a low %, can't remember exactly what it was, but it was recommended we do ICSI at a cost of $2500. So someone gave me the advice that 2500 is alot less than loosing the the total cost of the IVF cycle. Which is very true.

    Anyway we decided since we never had a fert issue that we would not do ICSI and we had 5of our 7 eggs fertilize.

    It's a tough position to be in, good luck on making your decison!! Hugs!!
    3 failed IUI's and 3 failed IVF's with OE, 2 failed frozen DE cycle... we are currently doing our "Hail Mary" fresh DE cycle!!

  6. #6
    Mega Poster meggyrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,930

    Default

    I agree with what everyone else has said. If money is not an issue, I'd do the ICSI. That way you won't look back and think "what if we had done ICSI" if something doesn't work out. You'll never look back and ask "what if we wouldn't have done ICSI?"

    Meg-30 DH-42

    2 IUI's-BFN
    IVF #1-cancelled d/t embryos arresting before transfer (3/09)
    IVF #2-BFP 9wks-7/30/09 (6/09)
    IVF #3-BFN (5/10)

  7. #7
    Super Poster DancingNancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    521

    Default

    Thanks for the input ladies! As it turns out, I was able to work it so that we will be able to wait until the day of the retrieval to decide. We are going through ARC and they need payment in full by tomorrow but I called the clinic and asked if we could just pay the clinic directly for the ICSI if we did decide to do it. That way, we can see how/if I'm responding well to the meds and go from there. Sorry for the panic . I'm such a basketcase this week as it is all becoming too real plus my DH being out-of-town and me not sleeping doesn't help either

  8. #8
    Mega Poster meggyrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,930

    Default

    Glad you got something worked out so you don't have to make the decision tomorrow. I think waiting until the day of retrieval is a very reasonable decision. Then you see how DH's little guys are. Don't be sorry for your panic. We've all done it and that's what we are here for. How long is DH gone for?

    Meg-30 DH-42

    2 IUI's-BFN
    IVF #1-cancelled d/t embryos arresting before transfer (3/09)
    IVF #2-BFP 9wks-7/30/09 (6/09)
    IVF #3-BFN (5/10)

  9. #9
    Super Poster DancingNancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meggyrn View Post
    Glad you got something worked out so you don't have to make the decision tomorrow. I think waiting until the day of retrieval is a very reasonable decision. Then you see how DH's little guys are. Don't be sorry for your panic. We've all done it and that's what we are here for. How long is DH gone for?

    Thanks. He'll be home tonight. He got a pretty big promotion about 6 months that requires him to travel about once a month but lately he has been gone almost every week for the last 6 I'm a fairly independent person and usually don't mind staying by myself but our cars were broken into while we were sleeping less than 50 yards away a few months back and since then, I've been a little (well a lot) scared at night. DH has to travel the week after our procedure so we aren't quite sure what we are going to do because that stress won't be good. But we'll figure it out. I'll trying to convince him to 'let' us get an alarm system. I might stick his grandma on him and have her talk to him about it

  10. #10
    Mega Poster mrs.doolittle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,657

    Default

    Sounds like you've still got time to make a decision, but I wanted to throw in my two cents (which you heard from pp). We used ICSI for both of our IVF cycles (few eggs; sperm was great in all respects). If cost isn't an issue I would use ICSI because it gives you the best shot at fertilization. Good luck! Hope you get that alarm system, too!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions