Hi girls! I recognize a lot of you from "crossing paths" in the past.
I'm Amanda, DH is Matt and we've been TTC #1 since June 2008. We just completed our first IUI with injectables with a BFN. The only diagnosis we've ever had was moderate endo which was cleaned up in April with a lap. Tubes open, sperm count great, etc.
My question: knowing what you know now, if you had to do it over again would you jump right to IVF? Our insurance covers 6 medicated IUI cycles, but nothing for IVF. My doctor has pretty much left the decision up to us. We have the money for IVF saved up, but I'm not quite sure why I'm hesitating on pulling the trigger. I guess IVF just seems so daunting to me.
Anyway, thanks in advance for your input. Best of luck to everyone.
We tried a few IUI's just so we could say we had tried it and wouldn't second guess ourselves. If I were in your situation and time really didn't matter, I think I'd go for the IUIs since they are covered by insurance. If time is of the essence, then I'd go straight to IVF. Since your tubes are open and DH has good sperm counts, you have a good chance at a successful IUI.
IVF #1-cancelled d/t embryos arresting before transfer (3/09)
IVF #2-BFP 9wks-7/30/09 (6/09)
IVF #3-BFN (5/10)
Disclaimer: I have never done an IUI. That being said, I (in a wierd way) like IVF because it is much more controlled. Every step of the process is very tangible. I can see bloodwork, ultrasounds and call the lab for fertilization reports. We were offered the chance to do IUI with this cycle but despite the (huge) cost difference, we went straight to IVF.
Just so you can compare, all of our tests were completely normal. The only thing we have counting aginst us is our age (me 38, DH 37) but have been TCC for 5 yrs.
Hope it might help.
Brenda & Scott
We had some insurance coverage (for any fertility treatments) and started with medicated IUIs before we moved on to IVF because I wanted to at least give IUIs a chance. We moved on to 2 unsuccessful IVF cycles before doing a final injectable/IUI cycle (to use up leftover meds mainly). None of us really thought it would work because my few embryos never divided past 4 cells. My DH and I were talking about saving up money for donor eggs (insurance money was gone at that point), but that final cycle was a success. You really never know what will work and it's hard to know what you should do at any given point. If I were younger (I'm 3, had insurance, open tubes, and good sperm counts I would give IUIs a try first.
When we did IUI so many years ago we had insurance coverage for both IUI and IVF but it was a 10,000 lifetime max. Our doctor suggested IUI and we did 2 clomid IUI cycles that were unsuccessful and then we moved onto IVF. We got pregnant with IVF but it didn't stick. If I had to do it all over again I would have done the IUI's so that I would know for sure. The what if's are horrible.
If I were in your shoes I would try the IUIs and use the insurance and then move onto IVF. But that is me and my personal opinion.
Do what is best for you. Good Luck in whatever decision you make.
Daughter Rileigh Ann arriving January 2012
Thanks girls. DH and I are both 27 so time is not really an issue, but we've been TTC for 3 years so it seems like an issue, lol. I'm meeting with the doctor on Tuesday and anxious to hear what he thinks.
I was 27 when I did my ivf cycle. I did have coverage for ivf, that's why I did it, also because I had been ttc for over 8 years. We skipped iui and went straight to ivf. Our dx is severe endo. It took an ivf cycle that didnt end in a transfer and two FETs to get pg with my ds.
Fast forward 2.5 years. I went to the re to do an unmedicated iui and he said it just wouldn't work with my endo. Dh and I agreed to save up for another FET or IVF next summer (my IFC ins was canceled). 6 weeks later I found out I was pg by just doing opks and dtd when I got a positive.
All that to say, if endo is your only dx then I would keep doing the iui's until insurance runs out. Then, if you still havent gotten pg you could move on to ivf.
We skipped IUI- severe male factor. I probably would have gone direct to IVF regardless, much better odds and here at least cost not TOO prohibitive. I didn't expect to end up with something like nine transfers under my belt before I was done, though.
We skipped right to IVF due to male factor too. But we have insurance to cover up to $15,000 for all fertility treatments. IMO, I would exhaust all insurance options before you go to IVF. Children are expensive enough not counting the money it takes to concieve them. Good Luck with what ever you decide to do!
The girls on here probably have a lot more real world experience than me... but these are my two cents.
1. Ask your MD what the chances of getting pregnant given your issues any given month with IUI with injectables? For us it is probably very low (male factor). For others I think it is 10%
2. Most women need more than 1 IVF cycle. Do ya'll have enough saved up so that if you are disappointed the first time you can try again?
3. 3 years is soooo long. Sorry you have been TTC that long. That can be a huge stressor on a relationship. Hope for the best for you!!