Hi everyone, I'm a grad myself & haven't posted much lately but lurk pretty frequently. I know this has probably come up so many times before, but I'd like a refresher.
I'm gearing up for a FET at the end of the month & debating on how many embies to put back in. My last 2 FET's, we put back in 3 and ended up with one healthy embryo. Before I wasn't really too concerned about having multiples b/c I wanted whatever I could get. Now, if I had a choice, I would get pg with a singleton. So, of course it would make sense to only put one embryo back in. But .. what I keep thinking about is the fact that we put in 3 with my prior FET's and only one took each time. What to do, what to do..!
Anyway - so here are my questions to you:
1. How many embryo's did you have transfered?
2. Was it a fresh or frozen cycle?
3. How many embryo's took?
Thanks everyone for your input!
P.S - FWIW, I definitely won't put back 3 this time.. but trying to decide between one or two. Also, insurance doesn't cover any of this for us.
Last edited by Shay_FL; 08-30-2010 at 09:42 PM.
well i've only done 1 fresh cycle... we put in 2 and 2 took...
My situation is a little different b/c I CANNOT risk twins so we only can do 1. So...for me here's what we've done:
1 Fresh Cycle, 1 Good Blast Transferred, pg with single
1 FET, 1 Day 3 Embie (only "average" grade), negative
1 Fresh Cycle, 1 Good Hatching blast, pg with single
I looked up the standard protocol at my clinic and it looks like with <35 years old they will not transfer more than 2 and it depends at what stage they transfer. Day 3, they usually transfer 2, if they go to blast stage, most only transferred one. Overall pg rates looked to be about 50%. Hope that helps!
Last edited by HawkIgirl; 08-31-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Cycle 1: Transfered 1 high quality blast (fresh): BFN
Cycle 2: Transfered 2 blasts, 1 good, 1 pretty good (fresh): BFP with singleton
That is a tough decision.
We did a fresh cycle and transferred 2, and both implanted. The rest of my embies didn't make it to freeze. So our thought in transferring these 2 (since they weren't the best quality) was that hopefully one would take.
Good luck with whatever you decide!
We have done 2 FETs and both times we put back 2 embryos. The first time I had a CP and the second time we had our son.
We have 4 embryos remaining and DH wants to transfer one at a time each time as well - I'm assuming if it was his bum that was getting the PIO he would rethink that .
We only made it to transfer once, it was a fresh cycle and we transfered 3. Sadly it ended with a chemical pg.
It's a tough decision... the only advice I can offer is - go with your gut!
We did one fresh cycle, put in 3, and got a singleton.
Considering a FET sometime between Dec-Feb.....and trying to decide between 2 or 3. Definitely not one, because (like you) our insurance doesn't cover it, so I want to maximize our chances!
Good luck, Shay!
Here is what I did:
IVF #1.....transferred 2 best on day 3, had one baby
IVF #2.....transferred 2 best on day 5 (none to freeze), chemical pregnancy
IVF #3.....transferred 2 best on day 5 (4 to freeze), BFN
FET #1.....last hurrah...wanted to transfer all that made it to day 3...had 2 to transfer...currently 29+ weeks pg with one baby
We never did more than 2 because we could not imagine having more than twins...felt too risky to us. By the last hurrah (FET #1), I figured we would deal with whatever happened!! Luckily for baby and me, just one baby from FET #1...singleton pg is typically much easier on mom and baby(ies) than mulitple.
I say...go with your gut...can't go wrong if you do that.