Update on Me
Sorry, I have been MIA lately. We had a late reception to celebrate our marriage (because we had eloped). And then my new semester started. So I think I am finally back to normal. And I just had my consult with the RE.
So as you may remember- I have 3 fibroids and one closed tube. The doc went over my results and created a plan. So basically the 2 fibroids are on the outside of my uterus. He said the 3rd is probable. He said my uterus looks large and they do not know what is on the inside for sure. By the size of it and symptoms, he thinks it is a fibroid. So now we are doing a saline sonogram on CD 6-10. If it is a fibroid, I need another surgery and then a 3 month wait till after surgery before I move ahead with treatments. :( If it is not a fibroid, then I can move ahead with treatment immediately! :blob3: While I wait for CD 6, we are getting blood work and DH needs a SA.
As far as a plan- we are planning to do 2-3 rounds of IUI. 2 with clomid and a last one with injectables. He said they are really expensive and only up your chance of getting pregnant by 5 percent. Therefore we will just try it once and then move on to IVF. Wanted to update you all and hoping I can hang around here while I am going through all my work.
Hope you are all doing well! :)
Thanks for updating us. Late congrats on your wedding! Hope you had a wonderful reception. I'm glad you were able to meet with your doc and go over things and make a plan. Injectable IUI's are so much more expensive since the meds are the expensive part. Clomid is cheap. I think it's like $20 at Wal-mart. That's interesting to hear that it only increases your odds by 5%. Something to think about before going through it. If it only increases your chances by 5% why doesn't he want to just go to IVF after the 2 failed clomid IUIs?
Feel free to hang around here as you wait!
Hi Kate! Congratulations on getting married and everything else. I am surprised to hear that injectables only up your chances by 5%. Due to my age (I'm 43) I am not a good candidate for IVF, if I wanted to use donor eggs it would up my chances but we don't have the money and so we are going with injectables and IUI. If AF does not show by friday I have to have a beta done and then start on progesterone to get her started. I will then be having an hsg. I hope you have good news with your tests.
Hi Kate! Congrats on getting married! I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's not a fibroid and you can get started on treatment right away. I go in on Thursday to see if my remaining tube is closed. If it's open, I'll be doing a couple rounds of clomid, most likely with IUI as well.
I agree. I went straight from clomid to clomid + IUI to IVF. That is what our RE originally offered, but then he asked if we wanted to try IUI plus injectables after we finished our clomid cycles without success. For us time was important, and we did not think the success rates with IUI + injectables made it worth our while. I am not sure why REs really even offer that option, except maybe to line their pockets.
@Tiffany- It sounds like the same path I am on. I thought it was also silly to offer injectables when it doesn't even increase your chances much and immediately thought of the financial gain aspect. I think we will just stick with clomid!
@Steph- Sounds like me and you are going through all this together. I haven't been on here since you posted so I must go hunt down your post to see what your HSG results were!!!