Return to Fetal Development Overview
- At 22 weeks pregnant, your baby weighs close to a pound at this point!
- Your baby can now hear your conversations more clearly than before!. When you talk, read, or sing, expect her to hear you. Studies have found that newborns will suck more vigorously when read to from a book they heard frequently in utero.
- Eyelids and eyebrows are fully formed at week 22 of your pregnancy.
- Fingernails have grown to the end of the fingers.
- Be prepared for all those "Why" questions coming! Your baby's brain has entered a stage of rapid growth, especially in what's called the germinal matrix. This structure deep in the middle of the brain serves as a kind of factory for brain cells and disappears shortly before birth. But the brain's amazing expansion program continues until around the fifth birthday.
- With some help from mom, baby's liver is starting to break down bilirubin, a substance produced by red blood cells.
- If your baby is male his testes begin their descent to the scrotum.
- Primitive sperm have formed and he is producing testosterone.
- After 22 weeks of pregnancy, your baby's length is 10.94 inches (27.8cm); weight is nearly 1 pound (430gm).
Copyright © Pregnancy.org.