Return to Fetal Development Overview
- Bring on the bulk! Baby gains about 6 ounces at week 24 of your pregnancy. The weight is in muscle, bone mass and organs.
- His body begins to fill out with his appearance increasingly becoming more like a newborn.
- Taste buds begin to form. If mom drinks something strange or bitter, baby may be observed showing his distaste.
- Little creases have appeared on his palms. The muscular coordination of his hands has improved as he sucks his thumb.
- Over the next seven days the sweat glands will be forming in the skin.
- At 24 weeks pregnant, his lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" and cells that produce surfactant, a substance that helps the air sacs inflate easily.
- This week your baby is officially considered viable.
- After 24 weeks of pregnancy, your baby weighs 1.3 pound (600gm) and is 11.8 inches (30cm) long -- almost the length of a ruler!
Copyright © Pregnancy.org.