Return to Fetal Development Overview
- At 27 weeks pregnant, your little one's brain continues its rapid growth. Don't forget to share music, conversation, and even books with your baby!
- Response to sound grows more consistent toward the end of the seventh month, when the network of nerves to the ear is complete. Your baby's hearing continues to develop, he or she may start to recognize your voice as well as your partner's.
- Lungs continue to grow and prepare for functioning outside of the womb. Each day in the womb greatly increases survival rates!
- He also continues to take small breaths and although he's only breathing in water and not air, it's still good practice for when he's born.
- Eyelids are now open more. Your baby can distinguish between light and dark.
- Retinas have formed during pregnancy week 27.
- Your baby will grow over an inch during week 27 of pregnancy alone! You may suspect this phenomenal growth rate repeats in the preteen years!
- Average size is now 14.4 inches (36.6cm) and 1.9 pound (875gm).
Copyright © Pregnancy.org.