Return to Fetal Development Overview
- At 36 weeks pregnant, your baby is almost ready and most likely, so are you! The only organ still to mature is the lungs. While certainly you are both growing anxious to meet, remember that each day (up to 42 weeks), that your little one stays within your womb will multiply his chances to breathe on his own.
- If he hasn't already, this week your baby may drop into the birth canal. While breathing for mom becomes easier, walking may be the exact opposite! If he's not your first baby, this "lightening" may not occur until right before labor.
- In week 36 of pregnancy, fat is dimpling your baby's elbows and knees, and forming creases in the neck and wrists.
- His skin is growing smooth and, shall we say it, "baby" soft.
- His gums are very rigid at week 36 of your pregnancy. It won't be many months before you'll see his teeth.
- She has a fully developed pair of kidneys and her liver has begun processing some waste products.
- After 36 weeks of pregnancy, your child's average size is now 18.66 inches (47.4cm) and 5.78 pounds (2622 g). Between now and birth she will gain about an ounce a day!
Copyright © Pregnancy.org.