Return to Fetal Development Overview
- At 37 weeks pregnant, the average size is about 6.3 pounds (2859gm) now and 19.1 inches (48.6cm) length.
- She is official full term now but can still benefit from extra days in the womb.
- Your baby continues to practice breathing movements. Isn't it amazing how she can breathe "under water?"
- At 37 weeks of pregnancy, grasp is firm. It won't be long until you'll feel that strong little fist confidently grasping your finger (or tightly clenching your hair)!
- A few weeks ago, your baby would move her eyes toward light. Now she turns towards light outside the uterus.
- In week 37 of your pregnancy, as the uterine wall stretches and thins allowing more light to permeate, he develops definite daily activity cycles. You will want to be sure to establish good patterns yourself at this time, thus encouraging them in your child. Ever heard of a baby getting his days/nights mixed up? Now's the time to try to avoid that!