One of the ladies that I work with has extremely severe "morning" sickness all day long. Is there anything that she can do alleviate that? I am concerned because she has already lost about 5 pounds in the last week from getting sick. Thank you.
Sorry to hear she is so sick. Severe morning sickness resulting in dehydration will require a more aggressive treatment, but typical morning sickness (nausea and/or occasional vomiting) often is helped by some simple techniques. The things I suggest for m/s include:
- Drinking buckets of water
- Vitamin B6 (either 100 mg tablets every day, or injections every two weeks)
- Anything with ginger (ginger snaps, ginger ale, fresh ginger)
- Putting food in your stomach every two hours (whatever will stay put)
- Keeping saltines next to your bed and eating them when you are up in the night and before you get out of bed in the morning
- Anti-seasickness wrist bands
- Yoga or other relaxation techniques
- Plenty of exercise.
If none of those work, there are medications. If she is *really* sick and is not an "uptight" person, you might ask her if there are any twins in her family or her husband's!
-- Cynthia, CNM